It’s almost Hullabaloo time!! This year’s Hullabaloo will be held at the Howard Street Farm on Saturday, September 20, 2014 from 2 to 6 pm. The Hullabaloo is our annual event when we invite everyone to the Farm to celebrate what we’ve accomplished throughout the year. This year is special, because it is the first year we will toast our harvest!! It will be a leisurely, family-friendly day on the farm, so don’t miss it!
- Snacks from Whole Foods Market, Downtown Evanston
- Locally-grown apples from Irv and Shelly’s Fresh Picks
- Snack station by Skokie’s Tot Learning Center
- U-Pick raspberries (to eat or take home)
- S’mores by the campfire
Skip Landt of jug band extraordinaire, Strictly Jug Nuts, and teacher at the Old Town School of Folk Music, has assembled a group of musicians from the Old Town School of Folk Music who will perform in the Howard Street Farm Amphitheater. The music schedule looks fantastic, so come early to make sure you don’t miss any of the bands. Dancing is encouraged.
We’re happy to partner with restaurants that use produce grown by The Talking Farm. Boltwood uses produce grown as part of ETHS’ Edible Acre project, and Farmhouse, Peckish Pig and Village Inn all use Howard Street Farm produce at their restaurants. The chefs will put the Linda Kruhmin Demonstration Garden to good use as they make a dish featuring local produce, including produce grown just steps away!
2:30 – 3:00 Chef Brian Huston of Boltwood (HSF kale)
3:15 – 3:45 Chef Eric Mansavage of Farmhouse Evanston (HSF/local produce)
4:00 – 4:30 Randy Miles of Village Inn Pizzeria (HSF tomatoes, beans, peppers)
4:45 – 5:15 Chef Deborah Evans, Peckish Pig (HSF sage)
Feel free to wander around the Farm tomorrow and check out interactive demonstrations and exhibits. Some of the activities:
- Interactive, natural, plant-based dye demonstration by Joyce Elias (2-4 pm)
- Informational exhibit by founders of Howard Street Farm produce distributor Local Foods Grocer & Distributor
- Antique Apple Cider demonstration by Ben Harris
- Make-your-own Scarecrow (finished scarecrows will be exhibited at Howard Street Farm)
- Farm tours with Farmer Matt Ryan
- Farm bingo, crafts, and more!
The Hullabaloo is open to everyone in the community or anyone who wants to celebrate urban farming! See you tomorrow!
Details: All are welcome. Family-friendly. Casual. $5 suggested donation per person/$20 per family. The Howard Street Farm is located at 3669 Howard Street in Skokie, behind the Tot Learning Center. Free parking onsite. All proceeds raised from the Hullabaloo support The Talking Farm, a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that operates the Howard Street Farm. Special thanks to the Skokie Park District for helping us host this event.
2014 Haymaker Sponsor
2014 Hullabaloo Sponsor
2014 Hullabaloo Exhibitors